A study by the University of Arizona found that if a work colleague is carrying a cold or flu virus, it only takes four hours before traces of those viruses will be present on surfaces within the office such as the door handles, photocopier buttons and computer keyboards. So what can you do to arm yourself against the aches and pains of these viruses? Here are some top tips to help you stay virus free this winter.
- Drink green tea! Drink green tea with honey and lemon. The steam from the tea will help clear congestion, improve breathing and kill off cold viruses that are sensitive to heat. The lemon thins the mucus and the honey is slightly antibacterial.
- Cover it, Clean it! Gyms can be warm, moist places filled with sweaty towels and recycled air! This is germ heaven! Rather than sitting directly on a bench or mat, cover it with a clean towel! Use antibacterial wipes on your exercise equipment and free weights!
- Hit the snooze button! Make sure that you are getting enough sleep. Research shows we need seven to eight hours sleep in order to stimulate our immune system to attack viruses. So don’t skip the snoozes!
- Hand wash regularly! Wash your hands more regularly and dry them thoroughly to avoid carrying germs. Keep a hand sanitiser and moisturiser in your handbag and gym bag.
- Clean your phone. Your mobile phone is potentially a germ heaven! Clean it regularly with a sanitising wipe and stop those germs getting anywhere near your face and mouth!
- Drink plenty of water! During the cold winter months we are less likely to drink the amount of water our body requires. Increase your intake of water and help your body to flush toxins out through the lymph system.
Leave a Reply